June 25, 2014
Change is always hard, but it can be especially difficult when it involves choosing to move to a new home. There are a lot of choices when it comes to finding the perfect senior retirement or assisted living community. The team at Generations at Agritopia knows how hard the decision making process can be and will help you through it, step by step.
Related: The Generations difference
The most important part of the process is getting all of the information you need. We recommend you have a list of questions prepared to ensure you understand the services that are available and how they are delivered. Having a trusted advisor to help gather this information can be helpful. This can be a family member, friend or a professional, such as an attorney, doctor or financial advisor.
Many residents rely on friends, family members and professional advisors to assist with their decision making process. Meeting with the staff and management team will provide you with information about the community’s apartment styles, availability and monthly fees, as well as details about hospitality services such as housekeeping, personal laundry, dining and scheduled transportation. Inquiring about the social and activity programs will help you determine if residents share your interests and joining an event as a guest is a nice way of getting to know some of the people that live there.
Visiting a retirement or senior living community in person is a must. When it comes to making this important decision, your first impression is critical and trusting your intuition is important. Does it feel right? Does the community offer the kind of activities you’d be interested in? Do the residents and staff seem happy? These are just some of the things you should look for during your visit.
Some communities will invite you for a complimentary meal so you can experience their dining and menu options, level of service and give you an opportunity to visit with some of the residents. This firsthand experience is often the best way to determine if your dietary preferences and needs can be met, if the menu offers a selection of entrees and how accommodating the staff is.
Here are additional questions to ask and things to look for:
- Do they provide scheduled transportation to doctor appointments, errands or other outings?
- Is the community decorated with quality furnishings, clean and well maintained?
- Do they maintain the buildings and grounds well?
- Do the apartment floor plan options work for me?
- Is the location convenient? Is it close enough for friends and family members to visit?
- Do they offer a full schedule of activities that seem interesting?
- Do they hold educational and entertaining events and outings?
- Do they have a quality memory care program available if you or your family member ever needs one?
- Are meals, housekeeping and apartment maintenance included in the monthly fee?
The team at Generations at Agritopia wants you to be happy with the decision you make and will be eager to make sure your questions and concerns are answered. We know this is one of the most important decisions you will make and look forward to making sure you know everything you need to be able to choose the right community for you.